Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #22 - Podcasts: no iPods needed

http://www.donateyourweight.com/show/show_index.html

For this project on Podcasts I went to PodcastDirectory.com and searched under the "Health" category since I'm a Health teacher. I ended up at Trumix.com where I looked under the subtitle Health: Fitness & Nutrition - I found the podcast, "Donate Your Weight", Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. I listened to this podcast that was (8:32) 8 minutes/32 sec. in length about the rising obesity problem we have here in America. This was a very interesting podcast about how Americans eat unconsciously throughout each day. This lady issued this statement, "The rise in obesity rates are simply due to a net caloric imbalance of 100 calories per day. A calorie imbalance of this amont generates an average weight gain of about 10 lbs. a year". It's a snowball effect over time, 10 - 15 years. Her example was with Hershey's kisses. Four (4) Hershey's kisses are 100 calories. People at work with a bowl of Hershey kisses generally, unconsciously eat 5, 10, 15, 20 a day; 2 oreo cookies = 106 calories; an 8 oz. cola = 162 calories. Her point is that we as Americans mindlessly and unconsciously overindulge ourselves on a daily basis and over the course of time it adds up.

Anyhow, I thought PodcastDirectory was very simple and easy to use. It's just a matter of searching through and finding topics of interest. For this particular podcast I opened an RSS subscription to my Bloglines account for easy access. I also bookmarked it to my firefox bookmarks toolbar. I do believe that there are many, numerous podcasts that are Health related and could benefit my students to varying degrees. Creating our very own podcast would be a very interesting project. I don't know if I'm creative enough to produce my very own podcast, but there sure are plenty of topics to surf through and listen to. It's just a matter of finding topics relative to you and your subject area. The negative side is time constraints in the classroom. I'm not sure how efficient we can be with this tool in a classroom environment regarding time managment.

I'm certain with time and more research, I will find a podcast that will interest me enough to subscribe to and become a regular listener. I found one about the Dallas Cowboys that was pretty interesting, so i'm sure that as I surf through and listen to some of them I will eventually find one that really piques my interest.

Podcasts - new to me, but a very interesting concept!

1 comment:

mmw said...

Maybe your students could produce a podcast of health tips that correlate with the topic you are studying each week. Make them do the research, write the tip and record it. Podcasting is really very easy. The technology facilitator for your campus could show you how in a matter of minutes. I think you should try it! :-)