Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing #18- Explore Social Networking

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo

I have opened a Facebook account. I chose Facebook b/c elementary - high school kids mostly used MySpace and I do not want to make myself accessible to them. I wouldn't even want a high school kid to know that I have a MySpace account. There are elementary kids and middle school kids with MySpace accounts. As a parent I think it is important to invade your kids space somewhat just to see what your kids are talking about and who they are communicating with. I do have some younger friends that have Facebook accounts. I've already sent out requests to several former players to be added as a friend on their accounts. It is probably important for educators to understand this tool because it is so widely used to network with your friends and professional co-workers. Looking over MySpace and Facebook has given me insight into the world of technology with a tool that I'm really not that familiar with and quite honestly do not use. However, it is easy to see why the multitudes are using these tools to communicate on a daily basis. I think the technology is incredible, easy to register for, but the only thing that I don't like about it is that I'm in an age group that is not very tech savvy. These tools appeal to younger generations (teenagers, 20's - 40ish ages). I'm 55 years old and I don't have any friends that are members of either of these networks. I did however immediately see many of my former students and athletes that have accounts. They are in their 20's and 30's now. I suppose if I wanted to stay in touch with this group that this would be an invaluable tool. I do think it would be valuable if you had the opportunity to reconnect with old high school or college friends.

From what I could tell it appears that perhaps MySpace has more features but I think that's based on their primary users age group. You can really build a really nice MySpace page with the options that are available. Facebook, although very simple seems to be suited for an older age group, mostly college kids, 20 & 30 something, young professional adults.

Without further investigation I'm really not sure what applications would be available for school and library use.

No comments: