Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing #17 - Tagging and Social Bookmarking with Del.icio.us

The first thing I did on this assignment was to view the CommonCraft exploration video about Del.icio.us Social Bookmarking. Secondly, I viewed the Del.icio.us tutorial podcast, and then I browsed through Furl and Ma.gnolia.

I have discovered that this is absolutely the best way to save websites. Del.icio.us allows you to bookmark websites then tag them into a particular category. Tagging simply means labeling your information into categories by using key words for online content. Then you have the advantage of social networking which allows you to view tags from other people and they can also see your tagged sites as well. You have the ability to view or discover websites on topics of interest that other poeple have already found, bookmarked and tagged.

This is an incredible research tool becasue it enables you to find information very quickly just by doing a content/topic/subject matter search. Then you will have at yor fingertips tons of information related to your research.

I set up my own Del.icio.us account and I have already tagged some basketball sites that I can share with other coaches. I also bookmarked a site on Flickr Photo Sharing and started a new tag under Photos. I see social bookmarking as a great tool for Libraries. This simple tool will help students find the information that they need for reports and research papers much faster, quicker and more efficiently.

I find this to be an extremely effective and efficient tool for anyone in any profession, not just teachers' and students'.

No comments: